Category

Donor Recognition

Bruce McKillop: Supporting the Entrepreneurs of Tomorrow

By | Donor Recognition

“To be an entrepreneur, you have to be open-minded and willing to take a risk,” says local business leader and University of Lethbridge alumnus Bruce McKillop (BASc (BA) ’70). “But — you have to be smart. You have to be inquisitive. You have to think things through. And you have to be able to execute on your idea.” After spending the last four decades in business in Lethbridge, you could say that being an entrepreneur is in Bruce’s blood. His father, Charles (Bud) McKillop, was the founder of McKillop Insurance & Registry. Bruce’s daughter (and fellowU of L alumnus) Sonya McKillop (BMgt ’01) followed in their footsteps and is currently at the company’s helm as president, making McKillop Insurance & Registry a third-generation family business. Having set his roots in Lethbridge, Bruce says supporting local initiatives is one way he gives back to the community that helped him along the…

Read More

Cor Van Raay: Planting Seeds for the Future

By | Donor Recognition

In a small shop in southern Saskatchewan, Dr. Cor Van Raay (LLD ’15) came across a sign that neatly sums up his approach to business: if you find a job you like, you’ll never work a day in your life. “Whatever you choose to do should be fun at least 80 per cent of the time,” Van Raay says, reinforcing the mantra above. “The other 20 per cent of the time it will be hard work.” It’s that balance between a passion for agribusiness and a strong work ethic that has established Van Raay as one of the area’s leading agricultural innovators and entrepreneurs. Originally from Holland, Van Raay began farming in Iron Springs, Alta., 50 years ago with a half-section of cropland and a small herd of Holstein cattle. Since then, he has built one of the largest and most successful cattle production and feedlot operations in the country….

Read More